What's new
Nirjonmela Desi Forum

Talk about the things that matter to you! Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today and gain full access!

How to Install Ubuntu Linux on VirtualBox on Windows 10 (1 Viewer)

Bergamo

Forum God
Elite Leader
Threads
Credits
Glasses sunglasses
Berry Tart
Statue Of Liberty
Profile Music
Sandwich
Wc9hZ28.png

Installing Linux inside Windows using VirtualBox?

VirtualBox is free and open source virtualization software from Oracle. It enables you to install other operating systems in virtual machines. It is recommended that your system should have at least 4GB of RAM to get decent performance from the virtual operating system. If you want to use Linux without making any changes to your Windows system, you can go the virtual machine route. Basically, you install and use Linux like any regular Windows application. When you just want to try Linux for limited use, virtual machines provide the most comfortable option. We will give an instruction with step-by-step screenshots to show how to install VirtualBox with an example of installing Ubuntu OS as a guest machine. We also explain how to share files between the host and guest operating systems.

Requirements

• Good internet connection to download software and Linux ISO. (You can also use some other computer with an internet connection to download these files.)
  • Windows system with at least 12 GB of free space.
  • Windows system with 4GB of rRAM. (It can work with less RAM as well, but your system will start to lag while using Linux in the virtual machine.)
Step 1: Download and install VirtualBox

Note the instruction here is based on the latest version of the VirtualBox. If you have already installed an earlier version of VirtualBox, your experience may be different. It is recommended to use the latest version of VirtualBox to avoid issues. The VirtualBox forum is a good place to find a solution if you see any problems. Go to the website of Oracle VirtualBox and get the latest stable version from here. VirtualBox website here to download the binary for your current operating system. Since our host machine is running on Windows, I'll choose 'x86/amd64' from Windows hosts. When download is finished, run the executable file. Continue with the installation of VirtualBox with the defaults. This will open VirtualBox at the end of the installation.

Download VirtualBox

Installing VirtualBox is not rocket science. Just double-click on the downloaded .exe file and follow the instructions on the screen. It is like installing any regular software on Windows.

Step 2: Download the Linux ISO

Next, you need to download the ISO file of the Linux distribution. You can get this image from the official website of the Linux distribution you are trying to use.

I am using Ubuntu in this example, and you can download ISO images for Ubuntu from the link below:

Download Ubuntu Linux

Step 3: Install Linux using VirtualBox

You have installed VirtualBox and you have downloaded the ISO for Linux. You are now set to install Linux in VirtualBox.

Start VirtualBox, and click on the New symbol. Give the virtual OS a relevant name. Create Virtual Machine

Click 'New' button to open a dialog.

8hM0ITG.png

Type a name for the new virtual machine. Since I am planning to install Ubuntu 14.04, I'll enter 'ubuntu1404'. Note that VirtualBox automatically changes 'Type' to Linux and 'Version' to 'Ubuntu (64 bit)'. These two options are exactly what we need.

WNVLEuC.png

The memory size depends on your host machine memory size. In my case, I have 12GB physical RAM. I like to allocate as much as possible for Ubuntu but leave some for my Windows host machine. I pick 8192 MB for my Ubuntu. Note that VirtualBox will create a swap partition with the same amount space as base memeory you have entered here. So later when you are selecting the size of the virtual hard drive, make sure it is large enough since the hard drive will be splitted into root (/)and swap partitions. The root partition contains by default all your system files, program settings and documents.

J3C2aLD.png

Accept the default 'Create a virtual hard drive now' and click 'Create' button.

vVJrwBO.png

Continue to accept the default 'VDI' drive file type and click 'Next' button.

0CqehFn.png

Change the storage type from the default 'Dynamically allocated' to 'Fixed size' to increase performance.

1QIEmrS.png

For the virtual hard drive space, the default value is 8GB which is too little for RNA-Seq analysis. I'll pick 100GB since I have plenty of space in my hard disk. You want to choose a good size for your RNA-Seq analysis. If you realize the drive space is not large enough, you'll need to go over these steps again to create another virtual machine.

tM3BWM1.png

Click 'Create' button and VirtualBox will generate Ubuntu virtual machine.

n6tCQVu.png

Now the virtual machine is created. We are ready to install Ubuntu in this virtual machine. Select your new virtual machine and click 'Settings' button. Click on 'Storage' category and then 'Empty' under Controller:IDE. Click "CD/DVD" icon on right hand side and select the ubuntu ISO file to mount.

Note that if you have not downloaded 64-bit Ubuntu ISO file, you can check out this page for more information. When downloading Ubuntu ISO file, make sure to selecte 64-bit version. Also make sure the VT-x/Virtualization Technology has been enabled in your computer's BIOS/Basic Input Output System.

EcIndyQ.png

AvgUxF8.png

Y7O9wZn.png

Since Tophat program can take an advantage of multiple processors/threads, it is a good idea to specify a large number of processors in virtual machine (default value is 1). You can change this number by clicking on 'System' category. In this case, I change the number of CPUs to 4 since 4 is the largest value shown on the green bar in my case. Now you can click 'OK' button to continue.

bEwRUpQ.png

VirtualBox may pop up a message about 'Auto capture keyboard' option. Read the message there and check 'Do not show this message again' option before clicking OK.

bCw20Ce.jpg

These are the rules that are to be followed throughout the entire site. Please ensure you follow them when you post. Those who violate the rules may be punished including possibly having their account suspended.

যারা কমেন্ট করবেন, দয়া করে বানান ঠিক রাখুন। উত্তেজিত অবস্থায় দ্রুত কমেন্ট করতে গিয়ে বানান ভুল করবেন না। আমরা যারা কমেন্ট পড়তে আসি, আমাদের কমেন্ট পড়তে অনেক অসুবিধা হয়।

Users who are viewing this thread

Back